Do you ever have those moments where you sit back and just go - "What the actual heck am I doing with my life?" - because I absolutely do. Last week I actually tweeted about this and I haven't exactly shaken the feeling. It's a bit like an identity crisis, but for my online direction? I've spoken before that you can absolutely be a multi-niche blogger, and also be successful in doing so. I don't feel like I'm going back on my words here - but maybe it's time to re-look at where my choices are heading.
The Introverted Extroverted Blogger?
This blog has gone through a lot of changes since I started it. For those who don't know the background, it was a weight loss blog, then turned into a place to promote local businesses, and now you're here now! I've talked a lot on mental health, and also on blogging (which I do actually really love writing about!), plus, a sprinkle of food and photography here and there, too.
I think that maybe this is where my identity crisis is coming from. It's such a large spectrum of things, which technically do talk to each other when done right! This did make me think of a comment a friend made to me years ago:
"Claire, you're the most introverted extrovert I've ever met."
- and it's true! Whenever I do the Myers Briggs test, I'm always right on that introvert/extrovert line, and I often find myself going between the two. (Okay, fine, yes, usually much more introverted than extroverted, let's not lie.) And maybe that's the type of people who I think would most like what I can offer?
Maybe an Identity Crisis is what I need
And you know, that's a strange concept as a blogger, or as a content creator to really grasp. But if you're reading this going, well, I haven't really figured out my direction yet, or, maybe the world of blogging/social media is too big for me to make an impact? - there's always going to be avenues to be able to step back and find your crowd. The internet is a big place. There are people out there that are wanting to feel less alone.
Making yourself authentic on the internet
So that's where I think my direction needs to be.
Creating content for:
- Those who are up for nights out, but only if it means sitting down at the pub instead of dancing.
- People who are ambitious and have big ideas, but need a place to feel a little less lonely.
- Individuals who aren't afraid to try heaps of new things, and will probably get distracted along the way
- The society of people who love to curl up in bed with a comfy blanket whilst reading a book or watching Netflix whilst avoiding phone calls from unknown numbers
- That portion of people who try to lose weight and get healthier, kinda often fail, don't really relate to any of the content from Ashy Binns but keep having a crack at it because that's just what you've gotta do
- Creatives who want to keep being inspired by others out there and are old enough to be called out by Gen Z'ers on TikTok (but use it anyway)
- The people who love to travel, and aspire to be a functional adult with the whole owning a house, and a stable job - and find it really hard, but gosh darnit it'll happen one day.
- People who just want to find a friendly face on the internet.
And look, I'm more than sure there'd be a heap of extra criteria out there that people come and visit the blog for, but my authentic me is an anxiously hyper-active clumsy individual who tries her best, and I'm sure that's a mood for a lot of people.
Sometimes when we go through an identity crisis, it's really just a chance for us to step back, and work out exactly what we're wanting to do with ourselves. (Like, I mean, technically that's the definition of going through an identity crisis? Minor detail right?) - but it's more an opportunity to work out what do we want others to see when they go through our blogs, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter? Are you wanting to be the most authentic you as possible? Because if you're not - who are you being?
Let me know in the comments if you're more introverted or extroverted, or if you've gone through an online identity crisis before, or if you've taken anything else from this post ♥