I woke up the other morning to a flurry of notifications lighting up my phone from twitter. Normally it's pretty exciting to get any type of notification at the best of times, but gorgeous Morigana had kindly nominated me for the Sunshine Blogger Awards! ( You can also find her on twitter here! ) I had only been looking at a few other nominees the night before so was pretty honoured to get the tag!
The concept of the awards are pretty awesome, as they help promote bloggers from their fellow bloggers. Anyone who has been here a few times knows I'm all about the networking piece between people and a bit of positivity is always awesome to see online!
About the Sunshine Blogger Award
The Sunshine Blogger Award is given by bloggers to other bloggers, as a way to encourage and recognise their positivity and creativity, and to overall recognise the sunshine they bring to the blogging community with their writing.
Nominating someone for the award is a way of recognising their potential as a blogger, and to cheer them on and encourage them to grow and develop further!
- In your post, thank the blogger(s) who nominated you, and link back to their blog.
- List these rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your blog post.
- Answer the 11 questions the blogger(s) asked you.
- Nominate 11 new bloggers for the award and ask them 11 new questions.
- Let the nominees know about their nomination.
Sunshine Blogger Questions!
1. When did you start blogging?
I actually started Short Girl Walking just over 12 months ago. I had just started back into the gym, and was really passionate about weight loss and different ways to get healthy that didn't revolve around aspiring to look like a catwalk model or an Ashy Binns. As life normal does, I had a curveball with a few illnesses (mental and physical) so my fitness took the back burner, but I've rebranded my direction and have been back actively blogging for about two months!
2. What’s your proudest moment from this year?
I had to really think on this one, I think it's been a bit of a collective throughout the year of finally saying no to people, and not being scared to speak up and say my mind. We tend to get it into our heads that people are better than us - and to be honest, no. They're not. I went to a CEO of a company over a complaint a few months ago because an issue I had wasn't get resolved, and it was fixed within the week. Don't be afraid to go after what you want.
3. If you had to give one piece of advice to a newbie blogger, what would it be?
Be authentic to yourself and your blog - and blog about something you're passionate about. As a secondary follow on piece - it's also your blog, you're in control of the content and don't be scared to start over and delete things if it's not going in the direction you were wanting it to be.
4. How do you relax?
I don't think I know the meaning of relax!! I'm a very much go go go individual and don't really stop until I go to sleep. However, I'm a big fan of watching Netflix - and love re-watching Hilda. Otherwise taking some time out with Wally is another fave.
5. Do you have a favourite quote? What is it?
I've actually got three of them!
It's never too late to be what you might've been - George Eliot
Everything we write, is, in someway, autobiographical - Raymond Carver
There's the third by CJ Nicolai ""... That to be an effective artist, you had to be vulnerable, and being vulnerable means putting out work that represents you, and is very close to you, and puts you at risk for people saying 'I don't like it' and walking away." - and I think that is such a powerful quote for someone in a creative field, but also super true on how to be yourself.
6. What’s the first item closest to you on your left at this moment?
haha it's a Schwepps Traditional Raspberry bottle.
7. What’s your favourite type of pen to write your notes or journal with?
I'm actually obsessed with Sharpie fine line pens for anything to do with colour, I've also just discovered J.Burrows pastel line for highlighters which have been a bit of a life-changer, and also Kikki-K pens!
8. Do you blog full-time or part-time?
Technically I guess since we're at day seven of being unemployed that my blog has turned into my full-time job! I haven't done anything for monetization yet, but it's been keeping me busy keeping up on social media, planning, seeking out content etc
9. How do you balance blogging and other life stuff so you don’t burn out?
As above for this one. Currently, as I'm looking for work, I can pick and choose what I want to do for the blog, and what the focus is going to be. When I was working through, it was really just trying to be authentic to myself to balance out where my passion is/was - and what content I was writing about. There's no point trying to blog about something you're not; you just get grumpy and burnt out so quickly.
I do however have about 30 draft topics sitting in my list so if I do start to get worn out, I have some inspo ready to go! I also think that setting aside a bit of time per day or week specifically for your blog is super important.
10. What’s your dream holiday destination?
I'd have to say America, and specifically in the New York/Chicago/Boston areas. Some of my best friends live over there that I've never met, and we've been saying for over ten years that I'd come to visit!
11. Who is your favourite person and why?
I think my favourite person would have to be my girl Lena. You know how your mother always warned you not to make friends with people on the internet? Yeah, Lena was one of the very first people I broke that rule for. She's seen me through literally over a decade of boys, and emo stages and rants and raves and been such the biggest cheerleader you could ask for!
Wooo! That was lots of fun. Thank you again to Moriganna for the nomination. I put out a call the other day for people to comment their blogs (completely unrelated by chance!) and came across some awesome bloggers. So as per the rules - I am nominating:
- My Daisy Style
- Bab About Town
- What Abigail Says
- Curiouser and Curiouser
- Lotties Lott
- Gemma's Little World
- Free From Foody
- Jessica Cantell
- Elephant on the Road
- Rina Kay
& my questions! Don't forget to let me know when you post your answers!
- Why did you start blogging?
- What has been your favourite post you've written?
- What's been the biggest learning curve you've made through your blogging life?
- How has blogging impacted your day to day life?
- Who has inspired you in your life and why?
- If you were stuck on an island for a week, but had all the necessities (food, water, shelter) taken care of, but could take three vanity items, what would they be?
- When was the last time you had a creative rut - and how did you get out of it?
- What does a normal day in your life look like?
- What's your favorite animal and why?
- If you could meet one fictional character, who would it be and why?
- And if you could give yourself one piece of advice, what would it be and why?
Thank you so much for stopping by!